30 November 2007

A New Project

Well, I now have a new project. I have been appointed as an online community development officer for Brimbank Libraries. You may be asking yourself about now "what the f$%k does an 'online community development officer' do?"


First let me point out that I am job sharing this position which Christian who works at Central Services and that it is only temporary for around 6 months.


What this position is responsible for is the research, consultation and development stage of a new website for Brimbank Libraries. What makes this role so exciting is:


a) The website well and truly needs an overhaul, and being in a position to have input into how it should be structured is great.

b) Council has a vision of making the library website more than a static web presence, but more interactive and more of a community portal integrating many of the latest web features such as blogging, wikis, RSS feeds, ect, allowing more 2 way communication between the library and its customers online.


c) Council is looking at building the website on an open source content management system called Joomla. I think the potential of an open source solution is very exciting.

I will be working at Central Services at Sunshine on this position on Tuesdays Wednesdays and Fridays, meaning I will continue to work at Sydenham on Mondays and Thursdays.

1 comment:

Zoya said...

Yes thanks for telling me your going not that I'll miss you or anything but who am I going to bother now. 2 days a week just isn't enough. One thing I wouldlike to say is dont forget to make the website user friendly for simple folk like myself. this sounds really exciting have fun!